Last Updated on
Technology has enabled many small business owners to work from home, which is great if want to save on transport costs, commute time and be accessible to your family. Whilst working from home provides a lot of positives there are also some definite negatives, with researchers finding small business owners are disposed to getting easily distracted and at times can feel lonely and isolated.
Here are some tips to run a business from home:
- Set up a comfortable work environment– Create a place to work with a comfortable chair and desk. (This will also help you get in the right work mood.) If you stay in your pyjamas all day, it is evidently difficult to get in a profession mind set.
- ProcrastinationAs a business coach it is in my nature to say “Don’t put off tomorrow what you can do today.” When working at home it is so easy to start doing the washing or vacuuming in an effort to avoid sending an email or talking to your accountant. It is very easy to fall into this trap. Set your purpose for completing at least three business tasks per day.
- Kids and dogs can be real distractions– Try and structure your working day to attend both your kid’s needs and the needs of your business.
- Don’t be an island– To avoid feeling isolated at home, catch up with colleagues, friends and most importantly clients, at least twice a week. I would recommend joining Meetup groups, and going to local BNI events to improve you’re networking skills whilst having time away from your home office.
- Have a lunch break– It is vital to take a break for lunch and to eat away from technology and your desk. When taking your break, try and step outside for some fresh air. Go for a walk walk around the block, clear your mind, and when you’re having a break, try and step away from your phone.